Despite the huge choice of means of contraception, the problem of unplanned pregnancy is extremely urgent today. Few modern families are really involved in planning the birth of a child. It is for this reason that the abortion service is constantly in demand.
What is medical abortion?
The newest way to terminate pregnancy is medication, or as it is also called, pharmaceutical abortion. It is carried out in a non-surgical way, and this has earned its recognition and popularity. However, this type of abortion has its own peculiarity - it can be carried out only in the early stages, up to six weeks of pregnancy.
Medical abortion: how it goes. Highlights
Due to the presence of contraindications to the procedure and the possibility of a danger to life, medical abortion is possible only under the strict supervision of a physician. It will help to assess the woman's condition and the absence of contraindications, besides, when buying a medicine, you will be required to have a prescription from your doctor.
Medical abortion is carried out under the influence of a medical drug that stimulates the process of embryo rejection and cleansing of the uterine cavity.
The procedure has its own characteristics and contraindications, in the presence of which any type of termination of pregnancy, including medical abortion, is excluded. How the pregnancy goes, the woman's well-being and other features - everything should be taken into account. The procedure is excluded in such cases:
- In the acute form of an infectious disease.
- In the presence of an inflammatory process in the body, including in the intimate area.
- When diagnosing an ectopic pregnancy.
In the case of one of the above contraindications, termination of pregnancy is impossible, and the pathological process is subject to treatment. Otherwise, the risk of complications increases greatly.
Contraindications for medical abortion
There are contraindications for this type of termination of pregnancy:
- Intolerance to the substances that make up the drug. In such a situation, the doctor will be able to advise another remedy that is right for you.
- Having kidney and liver problems.
- Serious heart and vascular disease.
- Breastfeeding, as substances are absorbed into the bloodstream and passed into breast milk.
- In a situation where for a long time protection was carried out with the help of oral contraceptives, and their intake was stopped immediately before the onset of pregnancy.
- Inflammation of the stomach (gastritis, gastroduodenitis, ulcer).
- The presence of a scar on the uterus.
Preparing for an abortion procedure
To successfully complete the procedure, a woman needs to contact her doctor and strictly follow his requirements and advice. At the first appointment, the doctor will tell the woman how the medical abortion goes. The patient will need to try to establish the exact date of conception, undergo an ultrasound scan in order to exclude an ectopic pregnancy, and also pass a number of tests.
The patient should report all chronic medical conditions to prevent the risk of complications.
A day or two before the abortion, you should exclude the use of alcohol and refrain from smoking. Women who smoke more than ten cigarettes a day should remember that the effect of the drug will be reduced for them.
What is this procedure?
It is carried out in a hospital in several stages.
- The patient is given two tablets of the drug, after which the woman remains under the supervision of the medical staff in the hospital for a certain period of time (from two to four hours). How a medical abortion proceeds should be assessed by a physician. In the absence of side effects, drug rejection (vomiting) and complications, the patient goes home on the same day. The drug ("Mifepristone") promotes abortion. It prepares the uterus to expel the embryo. It softens, the tone increases, a process occurs, as before the onset of menstruation.
- After two days, the client again applies to the clinic to go through the next stage. She is receiving another type of drug (Misoprostol) that helps the body to rid herself of the fetus. The patient is under the supervision of the medical staff for at least two hours from the start of the procedure (medical abortion). How the process goes should be assessed by a specialist. After the examination, the patient can go home. At this stage, the expulsion of the fetus occurs, which may be accompanied by bleeding and painful sensations.
How is medical abortion: reviews
The medical abortion procedure receives different reviews. Many girls note its convenience and a rare percentage of complications. Some mention severe pain at the time of the release of the uterus from the ovum and profuse bleeding.
Doctor's supervision is necessary both at all stages of the procedure and after its completion.
- Two days later, the client again turns to the attending physician for an ultrasound examination in order to obtain a complete picture of the result obtained.
- After two weeks, the woman should undergo an ultrasound examination again so that the attending physician can be sure that the abortion was successful and the patient did not have any complications.
Thus, the entire process of expulsion of the fetus usually takes three to ten days. For some women, this happens after the first drug is taken.
There are cases when, after an abortion, pregnancy is maintained or not completely terminated. There is also a risk of complications. It is in order to prevent such situations that medical abortion (how it goes, etc.) should be assessed by a doctor.
It takes every patient from a month to two to restore the body. As a rule, when a month has passed after the medical abortion, the woman's period resumes. Sometimes this period can last up to two months.
Possible complications and how to avoid them
Abortion is a complex procedure, after which complications can arise. Here is some of them:
- Bleeding (rare). At the onset of profuse uterine bleeding, it is imperative to go to the hospital, where a woman can have a curettage of the uterus and a blood transfusion. The risk of uterine bleeding increases in proportion to the duration of pregnancy, so medical abortion is best used early.
- Hematometer (accumulation of blood in the uterus). The development of this type of complications is more frequent. It is dangerous by infection of a woman's body. The process is characterized by a sharp interruption of blood loss, fever, pain in the lower abdomen. To prevent hematomas, a mandatory examination by a doctor after an abortion is required.
- Incomplete abortion. It occurs most often in nulliparous women. In such a situation, the patient undergoes vacuum aspiration or curettage. Follow-up by your doctor will help prevent this phenomenon.
- Preservation of the ovum (pregnancy). Very rare. Most often, the attending physicians recommend vacuum cleaning, since the risk of having a child with developmental disabilities greatly increases.
- An infectious disease is a rare complication. It is characterized by fever (high fever persists for more than four hours). To prevent infectious diseases, before the procedure, it is worth undergoing a medical examination in order to detect possible inflammatory processes and their treatment.
Pros of medical abortion
- Use in early pregnancy.
- Least traumatic for a woman's body.
- A smaller list of complications compared to other types of abortion.
- The process is carried out on an outpatient basis and requires only periodic medical supervision.
Answers to the most frequently asked questions
- Why doesn't toxicosis go away after a medical abortion? This may be a consequence of taking medications. Nausea is a possible side effect of the procedure. To make sure that the abortion was successful, you should not neglect the follow-up examination by a doctor and a follow-up ultrasound examination.
- Does a medical abortion hurt? Of all the available methods of termination of pregnancy, this type of abortion is the least dangerous and traumatic for a woman, but it is not devoid of unpleasant sensations. So, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, bleeding are possible.
- How do you know if your medical abortion was successful? To reduce the risk of possible side effects and negative consequences of the procedure, a mandatory visit to a doctor is recommended. The normalization of the body's activity occurs, on average, after a month or two after the procedure.